Friday, September 2, 2011

Godliness with contentment

In a world scurrying to gather things, I think the ability to be content is pretty much a lost thought. I have been working on this with James lately, and had the quick realization that I really needed to be working with myself. This is one of those subtle sins that Satan just loves to get us with, and after taking some deeper looks, I realized he had me fisted in his filthy little grasp.I began to tell myself what I was telling James. Be thankful we have a soft bed to sleep in, instead of complaining about a nap. (In my case it was more, be thankful you don't have to sleep with your baby in a hut with a dirt floor, or be thankful you get to sleep at all instead of complaining of getting up earlier than desired) but anyway, you get the picture. I'm just appalled at how unhappy we as Americans are, when we have more than most countries dream about. I think the women with their babies in the hut with the dirt floor are probably ten times happier and more content than I. And while I don't believe God requires poverty for holiness, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier that way. But, we are not placed in poverty, so I must strive to be content in this very situation in this very day. Paul writes, Godliness with contentment is great gain. This tells me that contentment would be very very hard to achieve and not likely sustainable without Godliness. So they would go hand in hand. Since Satan despises both, he can use one or the other the target both attributes. Wow. double whammy. As far as godliness goes, it would seem that as long as I have Jesus I would be content with anything that comes my way, right? Nice thought, but our flesh prevails. Why? why couldn't we just take Jesus, love him, love others, love our situations and go on merrily? Because Satan is hard at work, exhausting every means to get us to fall for those subtle sins.But God is also at work. If we let Him work in our lives His power overcomes. My first step was to acknowledge that I am found in sin, in this situation and commit to pray daily or hourly or every minute until contentment is reached.And all this is much easier blogged about than fulfilled. But this is my goal. To be Godly, and content with my situation whatever that may be. What God places in my life has been approved by Him, and He loves me. He wants me to be content. But this is my choice. My flesh can prevail, or His will can prevail. My choice. I choose life. I choose love. I choose THE WORD. Which says this is great gain. So help me Lord. Help me to remember this sin, give me strength to pray, and to seek your will. I love you, and strive to serve you in every way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment