Thursday, February 2, 2012

God's Promises and Mine

We woke up to a full, vibrant rainbow yesterday morning. It was beautiful. What was even more beautiful is that right before bed, I read the rainbow promise chapter in Genesis. Awesome huh?

Things have been messy, out of place and off limits for two weeks around here. We finally got around to tearing up our water-ruined wood floor in the kitchen, and have been having tile laid in it's place. Messy, yucky, and very inconvenient. But, not going to complain. We are blessed blessed beyond measure. YES we are!
What? you might say.... new floor in a new house? yea. my fault. I let the sink overflow and it ruined our barely two year old hardwood. Oh well....life! We have been kicked out of our kitchen, and dining which leads to the basement which is were we come in, and where the laundry is. Interesting week. We had a pizza picnic on the living room rug, with no silverware. James took a bojangles biscuit and apple dippers in his lunch one day we were completely banished. He thought it was cool stuff. Interesting week.

So God promised with a rainbow. It made me think of a lesson we were offered at BSF awhile ago, that our children learn about promises from us first. If they trust our promises they can learn to trust God's. If we don't keep our promises, how could they expect God to keep his?
I'm very very careful about what I promise my children now.
James said to me last night around 830 when I declared bedtime, but mom, you promised to play soccer! I was quick to clarify, I said we might play soccer.....God never says He might do something. How nice. We never have to wonder if God is just too tired. Or there isn't enough hours in the day. Or it's dark and raining. God's promises stand through wind and rain, weakness and strength, happy and sad times, plenty and poverty. How nice. It's so tempting sometimes to say, we will go to the park later, I promise, or I'll give you candy if you be good, I promise.
But, these can lead to big disappointments if not fulfilled.
I second guess myself all the time, these words on the tip of my tongue. But I'm careful. They deserve to believe in promises, especially those of our Heavenly father.
 Despite all the mess its actually been a super fun week. The weather has been lovely and we have been to the park almost every day. oh yeah, That's my kind of happiness. I love to be outside, and playing with the kids away from the laundry, and mess is always easier.
So anyway, I had more thoughts, but they will wait for another day. Bella is eating butter out of the fridge, and James has asked for his third sandwich since being home from school. And, I promise to always feed them when they are truly hungry :)
Blessing to you....

No comments:

Post a Comment